Winter is right around the corner, meaning it’s time to start dressing warmer and incorporating more red and gold into my wardrobe (for holiday’s sake!)
This homemade alternative to store-bought granola bars is a good source of protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup raw almonds
1 – 1.5 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup vanilla-flavored almond milk
1/4 cup shredded coconut
non-stick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Process 2 cups rolled oats in blender or food processor until they become flour-like. Mix “oat flour” with dry ingredients (except coconut) in a bowl. Add all wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir until well combined.
Spray a small baking dish (approx 5″ x 12″ or similar) with non-stick cooking spray. Add mixture to the dish, pressing it down with a spatula. Sprinkle coconut on top.
With a knife, cut the whole sheet into 12 bars. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Let cool, cut again, and store in an air-tight container for up to one week.
To make these even less fattening, I used light maple syrup and unsweetened almond milk. I also pulsed my almonds in the food processor because I don’ t like big chunks in my granola bars. To each his own. Either way, they’re delicious!
I cut the bars into 24 pieces and it equaled about 1.5 WW points.
Don’t hold back. If there’s something beautiful out there that you want (and there will be plenty), go for it. The more beauty you surround yourself with, the happier you’ll be. And the happier you are, the more beautiful you’ll be. And the more beautiful you are, the more people will be attracted to you. Hmmm, are you starting to sense a pattern? Get out and do what you enjoy and people won’t be able to help being drawn to you. *
*My horoscope for the day. I loved it too much not to post it.
I decided to take a leap of faith and get one in hopes that it would straighten my hair out and cut my styling time down. I’m happy to say that in the picture below…. there was absolutely no flat iron involved.
Costumes, pumpkins, scary movies. It’s all so much fun!
Last night we were the only ones dressed up out in the bars. Come on, people. We finally have an excuse to dress up as anything we want! I went as a nerd…. and everyone thought I was Harry Potter.
Hope you all have a safe and fun-filled weekend. ❤
Do you ever have those days? You know the ones I’m talking about… the days where anything and everything drives you crazy. Well, today was one of those days.
My biggest pet peeves?
- People’s table manners. Well, no… let me be more specific. Chewing.Chips and crackers drive me up a wall. I am not an angry enough person to ever feel like grabbing that giant icicle hanging from the roof and stabbing someone with it, but in the presence of loud eating… that all changes. People also have a way of sloshing softer foods around in their mouths with the volume on full blast. I couldn’t make that much noise eating bread or soup if I tried.
- People who don’t know the difference between its/it’s, your/you’re, hear/here, to/too, and their/there/they’re.
- Breathing and whistling songs through your nose.Now, I am understanding to a point. If you’re really sick and can’t help it that your breathing sounds like a car engine, it’s okay. However, I have known people who’s breathing is SO IRRITATING that I couldn’t concentrate on anything around me. It’s like when you go to the library and somebody is blasting their iPod so loud that you can’t get any of your studying done and you want to rip their fucking earphones out and shove them down their throat. Yeah, sort of like that. Please…. for the love of God…. go to the doctor and do something about it!
- Arguing with someone who agrees with everything you say and doesn’t yell back. Have an opinion. Get mad. Hit me as hard as you can. Do something, anything. Being passive is so irritating.
- Gulping after drinking. Seriously, is it necessary to make that ridiculous “ahhhhh” sound after swallowing your drink as hard and loud as you possibly can?
For the sake of not sounding like I think I’m better than everyone else, here are a couple of things I do that could possibly annoy people as well 😉
- I’m a picky eater. I mean, really picky. To the point where the waiters will say “OK, forget the Chicken Scallopini since you don’t want the artichokes, mushrooms, capers, lemon juice, pasta, or chicken. Just tell me what you do want.”
- I drive like a bat out of hell. People should just get out of my way. Stop driving 10 mph under the speed limit. Stop swerving in and out of lanes because you’re burping your child, applying mascara, changing your outfit, and trying to drive all at the same time.
- I am sarcastic 99.98% of the time.
- I chew my gum like I’m 6 years old. Not the smacking part, but I can’t have gum in my mouth and not blow giant bubbles. Thankfully for others (and unfortunately for me), I have braces for another two months so the blowing has been put on hold. That’s what she said.
My pet peeves could fill a novel, which is definitely why I’m single. If I could learn to pick my battles, it wouldn’t be a problem. But I just can’t seem to keep my mouth shut when things bother me. Whenever I’m in a relationship, I end up looking like some controlling asshole who wears the pants because telling guys that they’re annoying as shit spills out of my mouth like drool after you’ve had your wisdom teeth out.
My mother always asks me how I’m ever going to get married when so many things bother me. I simply believe that any guy who loves me enough will: a) eat baby food…only and b) not breathe….. or at least wear snore/breathing strips 24 hours a day. In my dreams.
The real answer, Mom: I have no idea.
My obsession with my fitness/diet regime grows by the day. I have been trying to cut out processed food and eat more organic/healthy options. I do this as much as I can without feeling like I’m depriving myself.
In the past few months, I found myself feeling grossed out by red meat. I am by no means a vegetarian, nor do I want to be. Chicken and turkey are the only meats I really eat anymore. After cutting down my meat intake, I felt like my diet was lacking protein. So, here’s a recipe for my favorite protein smoothie. I typically drink it before a workout.
1 cup Silk almond milk (or nonfat)
1 scoop Jay Robb’s Egg White Chocolate Protein Powder
1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter (no salt added)
small handful of raw spinach (you won’t taste it, I promise!)
1 tablespoon flax seed
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup ice
Blend all the ingredients and enjoy!
Well, the big day has finally arrived. MY SISTER IS GETTING MARRIED IN LESS THAN 10 HOURS!
My heart is absolutely bursting with love. I woke up around 4:45 this morning like a little kid on Christmas because I’m just so thrilled for her. I can’t imagine two people more worthy of love, happiness, and everything good than Brian and Jill.
Congratulations! I love you both.